Looking fabulous should never be at the expense of good health. The Green Beauty Rules: The Essential Guide to Toxic-Free Beauty, Green Glamour and Glowing Skin (HCI Books -- $21.95) by makeup artist to the stars Paige Padgett, bridges the gap between No More Dirty Looks and Bobbi Brown beauty books. Paige helps women seamlessly 'green' their beauty routines with a step-by-step guide and a sample clean beauty routine that offers approximately 200 chemically-safe beauty products, all ranking 3 or lower on the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Database. This beautiful gift guide, packed with tips and tricks to get a toxic-free, gorgeous makeup look, is sheer luxury on a budget and makes a great holiday gift for friends and family who will learn how to create a glamorous holiday look – safely!
The Green Beauty Rules: The Essential Guide to Toxic-Free Beauty, Green Glamour, and Glowing Skin
Chapter by chapter Paige Padgett explains why she got started on this green beauty journey, what to look out for, and why to care about the ingredients of your favorite cosmetics. Paige explains "After attending Ken Cook's 'Ten Americans' lecture I was blown away to find that an average of 287 chemicals are found in our bodies. Some of these chemicals were banned 30 years ago. Shockingly enough, some of these chemicals compound in our bodies and are passed down through our parents. Since then I decided I would eliminate toxic chemicals from my cosmetics and teach others how to do it as well.”
Since making the greening shift can be overwhelming, Paige holds the reader's hand throughout the transition. She stresses to take things one step at a time, figure out what products work best for you, and how to get the most out of certain products that can be used for more than one need.
One of the best takeaways from Padgett's book is that "green,” "natural” and "organic” do not need to be expensive. Green beauty products have come a long way since she first started and now products are vibrant, smell great, and are as effective (if not more) as popular brands.
Highlights from the book include:
- Debunking the five biggest green beauty myths (Chapter 1 Green Beauty Pioneer)
- Three eco-attitudes and how to flow between them (Chapter 1)
- Paige's 80/20 beauty diet (Chapter 2 Beauty from the "Outside In”)
- Sample Green Beauty Routine (Chapter 9 Green Beauty Looks)
- The difference between natural, organic, and chemically safe (Chapter 3 Organic, Natural and Naturally Derived)
- How to effectively use the Environmental Working Group Skin Deep Database (Chapter 5 Transition to Clean)
- The 60-Second Save – How to quickly identify chemically safe products (Chapter 6 Shop like a Pro)
- Tools for identifying greenwashing, reading labels and decoding packaging seals and stamps (Chapter 3)
- The three P's to avoid—perfume, parabens, petrochemicals (Chapter 4 The Nasties)
- Paige's Top Ten daily use products (Chapter 5)
- A step-by-step guide to greening your beauty routine (Chapter 5)
- A list of the top estrogenic chemicals to watch out for in products (Chapter 4)
Thank you for taking the time to read our fashion blog post. We hope that you have found this news to be informative. If you have comments or questions, please add your thoughts in the discussion area below.