Surfing gear for in the water should allow you to stay comfortable, warm, and rash-free. While out of the water, you should express a relaxed, chic, and bohemian style.
The original men’s swimwear, swim trunks are still the most common men’s swimwear in North America. Since the 1930s, swim trunks began showing up on their own, without the top portion of a bathing suit. They're more likely to be shorter than board shorts, looser, and made from nylon, cotton, or polyester. They may be clingier than a board short, depending on the type and cut of the short. Usually, swim trunks are more water absorbent, sport an elastic waistband, and may or may not have a lace-up fly.
Because of the elastic band and the targeted demographic of adult, middle-aged and older men, swim trunks might be more comfortable and practical for your unique needs. You also may not be a fan of the length of board shorts, or where they sit on the hip (a bit lower because the hips hold them up; there is no elastic).
- Layer-Up. Throughout the day, your body temperature will fluctuate due to the water temperature, air temperature, chill factor, and wetness. Consider layering tanks and tees under hoodies and flannels.
- Mix and Match. Don’t be too worried about matching every color; instead consider a couple of different colors and shades, while keeping the same undertones.
- Casual and Cool. Keep the comfortable vibe throughout, with baggier fitted attire and easy to slide-on shoes, such as sandals or surfers.
- Standout Socks. Every surfer needs a pair of funky patterned socks to add a bit of an extra flair for the relaxed and carefree style.
- Accessorize. Consider adding some cool shades, a chic beanie or hat, and other accessories to complete the ultimate cool dude look.
- Patterns. Consider a patterned dress or romper to slide over your bikini post surf session for an easy, classic look.
- Graphic Tees and Tanks. The slogan tee or free flowing tank should be a part of any beach babe collection to make a splashy statement.
- Sexy Shorts. Most places won’t allow you to wear your bikini bottoms without something covering them up, so consider sexy patterned short shorts or the cute crochet short to cover up.
- Eye-Catching Cover-ups. Cover-ups can be another quick and easy fix to throw on over any swimsuit for a quick run to the snack shack or to avoid the glaring rays of the sun.
- Sunglasses. From aviators to sporty to oversized, don’t leave home without a pair of fashionable sunglasses to protect your eyes.
Thank you for taking the time to read this surf fashion blog post.
If you are interested in further reading, you can also visit our new board shorts page to learn more about this type of swimwear product.
If you have comments or questions, please add your thoughts in the discussion area below.